10 most important world events of 2006
Among the internet pop ups, the celebrity life events; the 2006 was a year full of important events for human being.
1. Bird flu – People watched nervously as the infamous disease spread from Asia to Europe. But flu season died down before disaster struck. The human being was in a big danger, as a current H5N1 strain is a fast-mutating, highly pathogenic avian influenza virus (HPAI) found in multiple bird species.
2. Google buys YouTube.com for $1.6 billion. The acquisition combines one of the largest and fastest growing online video entertainment communities with Google's expertise in organizing information and creating new models for advertising on the Internet.
3. The U.S.’s second richest man, Warren Buffet, announces that he will donate 85% of his $44 billion fortune to five philanthropic organizations. $30 billion (that’s $30,000,000,000) was assigned to Bill Gates and Melinda Gates Foundation.
4. Apple's iTunes store sells it's 1 billionth song. Number of iPods sold through 2006: 88 million pieces.
5. A few months after test firing missiles, North Korea announces it tested its first nuclear weapon. The United Nations are not happy. ‘If the U.S. makes a concession to some degree, we will also make a concession to some degree, whether it be bilateral talks or six-party talks, said Kim Jong Il.
6. Pop Web – With over 100 million members, MySpace is one of the top websites in the world. YouTube streams 100 million videos. Add Blogger, Facebook, Flickr, and others and it’s obvious that the thing now is that people can share everything – online.
7. Cuban President Fidel Castro transfers power indefinitely to younger brother Raul, causing all sorts of rumors about the fate of Castro and the Communist island.
8. Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging by an Iraqi court. Earlier in this year he was charged with genocide by an Iraqi court for a campaign against Iraq's Kurdish population in 1988.
9. Italy wins the World Cup 5-3 vs. France.
10. Celebrity babes – Brooke Shields, Gwenyth Paltrow, Gwen Stefani and Angelina Jolie. They all gave birth in 2006. Tom and Kate’s daughter Suri causes the biggest appearance of the wear.
Another celebrity baby – Shiloh- People magazine paid more than $4.1 million for the right of publishing her photo on the newspaper cover.